Friday, January 15, 2010

Artist's statement


Over the years, a world view drawing on certain Eastern philosophical traditions has helped me to negotiate questions of how the universe works and how best to live in it.


I explore various methods and materials to make a line ‘effortlessly’, without strain. This means being receptive to ‘chance’ playing a part in the making of the work and maintaining a quiet state of mind.
Once a mark is ‘found’, it is replicated in rows on paper. I incise and emboss lines with household implements and customized tools.
The process of filling the blank paper with repeated lines induces calmness and stillness in my mind.
I am engaged by the natural, rhythmic marks produced by hand movement and although I am unable to analyse it, I recognize when a work is 'successful'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment