Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Artist's statement

I find that when my mind is calm and clear, the strokes and marks that I make on the paper surface are light and natural. The work that is composed in this way tends to be simple but may have an unexpectedly pleasing or striking effect.

I don’t have a fixed or detailed plan as to how a drawing or painting will turn out. When I am making a work, I reflect on a particular feeling or state of mind and let my senses and judgement be guided by my drawing and painting tools, support ( ie paper,board, fabric) and art material. This intuitive approach to making artwork is influenced by the ancient Chinese belief in change as a fundamental reality in the world.


Pencil man, 2001,
pencil on canvas, 31 x 21 cm



Emerging, 2001
Paint on layered fabric, 28 x 18 cm


No comments:

Post a Comment